John Carmack's idea system
From Austin Storm
Borrowing from the 'antifragile' concept, this:
- You are working on a problem and you get an idea and with it the initial idea high
- You should instantly try to defeat your idea – think of all the ways it could not work, test it out, put it under stress
- If the idea survive the brutal scrutiny then it has legs for further investigations or implementation
- If the idea is implemented and it works then that’s great
- If the idea fails the scrutiny or implementation you can quickly move on to the next idea without feeling the lows because you haven’t obsessed or talked about it i.e. it’s not your pet idea.
It becomes a game where you're trying to defeat your own ideas.