From Austin Storm
Retail is fundamentally about selling. In order to sell, you need to:
- Be available and interruptable. Even when you're not doing commission sales or tracking down every person, you need to make it clear that you are available when someone needs help.
- Make genuine human connections. Listening over talking, being more human over product features.
- Ask one question, not twenty.
- Love the merchandise you hate. "There are many products you yourself may not care for. But you need to come up with ways to look at how other people, not you, might take those products and use them to make their lives better."
- Learn your customer's names.
- Modify your body language.
- Get out from behind the checkout counter.
- from Bob Phibbs